Menswear trends: 6 best men’s winter accessoriesThe dazzling lights lining the streets of London means winter is well on its way. This is one of the best seasons to have fun with your style because menswear trends insist that it is about accessorising and making the most out of your complete wardrobe. From wooly hats to statement socks, let me take you through my guide to 6 key men's winter accessories this month.
1. Cashmere SCARfIf there is only one accessory you invest in this month, it has to be a swanky scarf. Whether checked or fringed, there is absolutely no excuse this season for our Entouraaj entourage to strut their stuff without this key essential seducing your neck. Speaking of seduction, Burberry have charmed there way into my closet with their iconic classic cashmere scarf. This week marked the start of their winter campaign and with a quick browse around their Scarf Bar you can see why it is a key essential this month.
Modelled by everyone from Eddie Redmayne to Indian model Tarun Nijjer in Burberry’s Prorsum Fall/Winter 15 runway, this is a brand making movements to cater to every demographic. Most of their range is unisex so go on; spoil yourself.
2. Leather GLOVESAsian skin is far more prone to drying out so on top of your skin care regime (which I hope you are all doing) cover your hands with some glorious gloves this season. With so many on offer, it can be hard to find the right ones. Biggest tip? You need them to cater to your lifestyle. If you are the type of guy that wears a suit to work, you can’t go wrong with a pair distinguished leather gloves. These 100% leather ones from Massimo Dutti offer a rebellious twist to the traditional style and add a little youth to the mix. Definitely on my ‘to buy’ list.
3. PONCHOArguably the most controversial accessory for men this season, capes and ponchos have made themselves mainstream and transformed into something you are going to either love or hate. It was seen all over the collections of Burberry Prorsum and Dolce and Gabbana. I know members of our fashion community are forward thinking so I would urge you all to at least try one on. There is no denying that you need tons confidence to pull off a look like this; but there is a way to make it work.
You can take this look from controversial to macho man by pairing it with a pair of grungy boots or hard hitting leather gloves. Topman, by far, are stocking the widest range.
4. Camel HATThe good old reliable winter hat. With so many options out there, let us focus in. You can go for the quirky, hipster variety, or the elegant, understated kind. Unfortunately, I have never had much luck with hats (odd shaped head issues) but that hasn’t stopped me from picking some essentials this season. Zara’s faux suede interpretation of the traditional ‘visor’ (cap) is done to perfection and gives off a very expensive feel for a very cheap price. Offering a more subtle option, Zara’s Felt Hat is a little more fun and quirky. Both designs come in brown and camel so will compliment Asian skin quite nicely. With that in mind, you will have no trouble filtering it into your winter wardrobe.
5. Loud SOCKSIn preparation for making everything north of our waist lines look good, it can be easy to forget about those things we put inside our shoes – feet! As an Indian man, I have lost count of how many holey black socks I have seen at temples and mandirs. Admittedly, there is nothing more comforting than putting on a fresh pair of socks but there is no reason they shouldn’t be just as stylish as the rest of your body. So make a big bang with your choices and have fun with the range of colours and designs on offer. Thomas Pink stock a superbly loud and exciting range so go a little crazy and stand our from the crowd.
6. Full sized UMBRELLAAs much as popping on a hat is easy, as we start taking more pride in self-grooming, the only way to keep that hairstyle looking on point is putting an umbrella over it. Flat frizzy hair is not a good look in any season. Whilst a short and convenient brolly is practical, there is something about a traditional, full length umbrella that oozes confidence and elegance. Moss Bros have got the balance just right with their Minister umbrella with gold details. Granted it doesn’t slot into your pocket, but with your November beard this month and swanky hat, it is going to look bloody brilliant. Now that you are fully informed on the accessories front, play around and really have fun this winter with all that the fashion world has to offer.
Share your favourite winter looks with me @mancanfashan
For similar articles take a read of these:
- Bright lights and sharp style: Your Diwali style guide - Menswear autumn essentials: Keep it casual with layering - Jeans: Everything you need to know - Menswear Trends Autumn Winter 2015 - Hats for men: How to wear yours like a pro